Samborski Declares House Consciousness Has Solidified Greatly in Last Year--Club Athletics Declining Rapidly

"House consciousness has solidified greatly during the past year, much more so in fact than has class feeling," said A. W. Samborski '25, in a CRIMSON interview yesterday. "This solidification of interest helps to better the social life of the House, just as a closer social life aids in the furtherance of House consciousness.

"It appears from the decisions in recent Inter-House athletic meetings that the committee is interested in extending an opening to as many men as possible," Mr. Samborski continued, "rather than making it possible for the best athletes to take practically all the positions on the various teams. The committee is interested in having House athletics fit in with the principle of House athletics for all. To this purpose, rules were made last year barring Varsity and Jayvee lettermen from participating in House athletics.

"The effect of House athletics on other parts of the intra-mural program has been exceptionally great. They have decidedly affected the various fraternities and clubs, in that men who live in the Houses and are also members of clubs or fraternities, seem to prefer to participate in House rather than fraternity athletics. The result of all this is that the clubs are having great difficulty in finding a sufficient number of players. Touch football this fall has been an outstanding example of this, only a few fraternity games having been played, where as in former years great interest was shown by club members in this sport.

"With the addition of Phillips Brooks House to the inter-House leagues, this ill-effect on the fraternities may be felt even more, because the men who do not live in the Houses and formerly played on fraternity or club teams, will now undoubtedly join the newly-organized Phillips Brooks House teams."

Although there are more than 600 upperclassmen who are not residents of the Houses, it is expected that only 200 of these, or approximately the equivalent of one House, will participate.