UNDERGRADUATE STUDY ABROAD

The ill-defined attitude of the University towards the temporary transfer of its undergraduates to a foreign institution has long been a worthy subject of criticism. A certain number of students would like to spend their Sophomore or Junior year in a European University, and at the same time wish to return to graduate from Harvard with their original class. When such a student approaches the authorities as to future valuation of his foreign credits he is met with a stolid indifference, and is given no assurance that a year's work, even in the best of schools, will be credited in full at Harvard.

A student financially unable to spend five years in gaining his degree is, if he try to plan a year of study on the continent, considerably and unpleasantly hampered by this policy of the University.

There are many benefits to be derived from a period of study in a European university. Any man in broadened and matured by the necessity of adjusting himself to the life and customs of a foreign nation, where thought is centered around a core of practical philosophy considerably different from his own. The American student abroad has an excellent opportunity to develop the social and intellectual poise so necessary in later life. While the primary result of study in Europe is not definite in nature, as for example the factual knowledge which can be acquired at any good American university; it consists of the less material but more lasting goods of life. Of course, a man completing a closely-knit plan of work would be injured by the break that a year's absence would introduce. But such a man is altogether capable of making of his own decision in the matter; the question should be settled by the individual, and not by the University.

The University is in a good position to help and advise students wishing to transfer. In any case, it is to be hoped that the authorities will not attempt to restrain individuals capable of judging for themselves. Something in the nature of an advisory board for transfer students would be the best solution of the problem. At least the University should desist from creating unnecessary obstacles to this important branch of education.