WHITE SEES EDUCATED MEN NEEDED IN R.O.T.C.

CAMPING PERIOD AT ETHAN ALLEN COMES IN JUNIOR YEAR

"There is a definite need of well-educated men in the Reserve Officers' Corps," declard Major A. A. White, instructor in Military Science, to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. "Should a war be declared at the present time, the commissioned officers in the Reserve Corps would be called upon to head the advance contingent of soldiers to the quarter of war operations.

"The Military Science department at Harvard is similar to those that exist in the majority of the large Universities throughout the country. The course of instruction, divided over a period of four years, is open to those men who are able to carry an extra subject and are interested in securing their commission. Although the training received is mostly that of artillery, a man in the course spends the summer of his Junior year in Camp Ethan Allen. The camp is equipped to afford adequate training in the operation of cannon and regular ground maneuvers. It is in the camping period that the men get the most intimate contact with the actual practice of their study. A provisional battery is formed with the Yale unit in the camp. The first three weeks of the period are carried out in the post of Fort Ethan Allen proper where the work is largely devoted to bringing the organization to a high degree of proficiency before it marches to the field artillery range at Camp Underwood for the last period of three weeks.

"The large percentage of Freshmen that enroll in the course usually carry their military instruction on through four years. The rating of the department in the last few years has been excellent.

"As the years pass and memories of that unified spirit that characterized the nation in the vigorous prosecution of the World War becomes somewhat vague, there continues to grow a calm and determined insistence that opportunity shall continue to exist whereby the sons of Harvard may prepare themselves to serve as commissioned officers in case of a national emergency involving the use of the armed forces. Happily the R.O.T.C. serves this useful purpose while the student is an undergraduate.