TO BE SEEN TO BE ADMIRED

These interested in the progress of the Harvard Memorial Church must be greatly impressed with the size of congregations that have taken part in the regular services during the past six initial weeks of the Church's availability to the members of the University. At last Sunday's service, for example, enough persons came for the morning service to necessitate use of Appleton Chapel in addition to the main part of the Church. Nearly half of the total number was made up of students.

As far as daily services are concerned, so great a number has attended up until the present time that it is not yet possible to make use solely of Appleton Chapel for those who attend. The choir of sixteen men, invisible from the front part of the Church due to the organ screen, has remained alone in the Chapel end of the building.

The increase in the numbers of men at morning services is in effect the addition of new enthusiasts to a practically constant nucleus. Little has ever been said about attendance at chapel services, or about the central group of men who for many years have by their regular appearance added a character of continuity to the services through the week. President Lowell seldom is absent; and there are others of the Faculty, Deans, and Tutors who come each morning. The occasional visitor after a time cannot but be aware of the constancy with which portions of the daily congregations take part in the services; and this is a powerful influence towards constancy in his own attitude.

Of University students as a whole, the Freshmen, largely due to proximity, a natural influence, form a good part of the congregation. There are also a number of upperclassmen and graduate students. A year ago, in the Faculty Room of University Hall, the central nucleus was more limited than it is at present. The number of regular attendants has grown. On a basis of the results observable at present, it may be concluded, interest in the Memorial Church has gone farther than a mere inspection of the brick and mortar, or a glimpse at the towering spire. A great church must arise from the undivided, unsollicited interest and support of a numerous and living congregation. It is in these respects that the Harvard Memorial Church is creating a distinguished history.