Hoover Repulsed As Rival Piles Up Large Majorities

Mass. and N.Y. Give Majorities To Democrats--Ely Ahead In Bay State

Returns from New York State indicated that beyond any doubt this state has gone Democratic for the first time since Wilson carried it in 1912. According to the Literary Digest and other election prognosticators, Hoover cannot hope to win without her 45 electoral votes. This was in accord with estimates by Tammany Hall, the New York Times.

Students throughout the entire college were listening to returns over radios or by the special broadcast at the Coop Building in the Square. As early as 8 o'clock in the evening, a crowd gathered outside listening to the returns which were announced over large amplifiers between selection of music. Two radios, reports from the Associated Press, the Hearst papers, and announcements by the Columbia and N.B.C. hook-ups, were being utilized.

New York state was conceded to Roosevelt by the New York Republican leader. Lehman, in returns from half the state, was leading Donovan, Republican by half a million. The loss of the Empire State was believed to be an almost certain indication that Roosevelt would capture the presidency by an overwhelming margin.

Electoral vote estimates at 8.30 o'clock gave Roosevelt 317 to Hoover's 92.

Early returns from Indiana, gave the Republican standard bearer of that state four to one. Voting in Massachusetts was close, but it was believed that even here Roosevelt would forge into the lead.

New Hampshire, conceded by all polls to Hoover was running true to form.

Pennsylvania, a doubtful state, was tending to Roosevelt. South Dakota was close. Texas in early returns gave Roosevelt almost four to one on Hoover. South Carolina was maintaining its status as a Democratic stronghold giving Roosevelt an almost incredible plurality. West Virginia early returns indicated a possible upset in giving Hoover about two to one from a few scattered districts.

Franklin D. Roosevelt already is indi- cated the winner.

While one or two states that it was anticipated would go for the Democrats have showed Hoover margins in scattered returns it seemed likely that the New York governor would sweep the country by a greater electoral margin than was accorded to President Wilson in 1916.

In New York City, Roosevelt had 1,297,000 to Hoover's 496,000. Hoover's upstate lead of 500,000, however, reduced this margin to about 51,000. Surrogate O'Brien was ahead of Pounds by two to one for Mayor of New York iCty. Lehman was leading Donovan by almost 900,000 for the governorship. Wagner was leading Medalie by 127,000 to 71,000 for United States Senator in returns from about half of the state.

Later returns: New York five eights of the districts gives the state to Roosevelt. This announcement caused the N.B.C. expert to concede the total eleccated a winner over Herbert Hoover in tion to the Democrats.

Pennsylvania, one twentieth reporting gave Hoover a leader of about 80,000 to 60,000 for Roosevelt. This refuted slightly earlier reports which were giving Roosevelt the keystone's 38 electoral votes