COMMUTERS IN ATHLETICS

The proposal now under consideration by the Inter-House Athletic Committee to make Phillips Brooks House an organizing center for the athletics of all men living outside the Houses is a sound practical plan for bringing commuters more fully into the life of the college. It is a plan which ought to work well and which deserves a trial.

The recent Phillips Brooks House report on the relations of the commuters to the college showed that 36 percent of the upperclassmen in the group take part in college athletics. According to the report 31 per cent of the remainder would like to share in intramural sports if a convenient opportunity were provided. Theoretically, any man not a House-resident can play on one of the Rambler teams in the intramural league games. Probably, however, the organization of Brooks House teams as regular contestants in the inter-House sports would make it easier for commuters to share in athletics. It would certainly help to produce the solidarity among members of the teams which counts for so much in the enjoyment of athletics.

The establishment of Brooks House teams, probably composed entirely of commuters, need not bring the abandonment of the Ramblers. If among the dropped Freshmen and other men who are neither commuters nor House residents there are enough to form teams in all sports or only in one or two, there is no reason why they should not organize a Rambler team and hold a regular place in the intramural sport program.