Business School Gives $50,000 in Scholarships For Dining Hall and Maintenance Work--Students Have Christmas Jobs

Close to $50,000 is being paid to students of the Business School this year through a number of work scholarships. One of the scholarship groups provides for placement of 140 men at work in the dining halls. For their board throughout the academic year, they are required to spend 45 hours out of each two week period doing some sort of routine work. In this group is included a number of men who are filling the 36 positions in kitchen and pantry assignments which were formerly held by female help.

A new set of scholarships have been developed this year. They are called Service Scholarships and carry an average stipend of $150. Sixty men who hold these do various odd jobs for the maintenance department about the grounds and buildings. Their work includes the mowing of lawns, shovelling snow, and trimming shrubbery. There are several positions in the delivery and cataloguing departments of the Baker Library.

The School has arranged for employment of 25 men in the Boston department stores during the Christmas shopping season, as well as providing jobs serving table at noontime in the Student Club.

The work being done by students in the dining halls means the outlay of over $40,000 annually, while an additional $10,000 is paid for the service scholarships. This total of $50,000 is a larger sum than has ever before been apportioned among the working students at the School.