GERMAN FILMS MAY BE SHOWN IN NEAR FUTURE

Question of Pictures Taken Up at Next Meeting of Department--Burkhard In Favor of Movies

The possibility that German motion pictures will be shown at Harvard was strengthened yesterday by the statement of F. W. C. Lieder, associate professor of German, that the question of having German pictures would be given careful consideration at the next meeting of the department.

For some time there has been agitation by members of the German department for the showing of German talking and silent movies at the Geography Building. So far not enough interest has been shown by members of the division or outside interests to warrant investigation of the matter.

Some years ago Arthur Burkhard, assistant professor of German, undertook at his own expense the showing of some German films to an audience of Harvard and Radcliffe students. Little enthusiasm was evinced by the German instructors at that time, and Burkhard felt that there was no point in continuing pictures at his own expense.

If any films are to be shown, they will undoubtedly be travelogues and short reels concerning German or Austrian subjects. These are distributed free of charge by the German and Austrian publicity bureaus.