UNION SCENE SET FOR CONCLAVE OF U. S. GEOLOGISTS

Dr. Ulrich Honored With Golden Medal For Fine Researches in Paleozoic Stratigraphy

Complete details for the 45th annual meeting of the Geological Society of America here late this month were announced last night by Russell Gibson, assistant professor of Economic Geology and chairman of the local Conference committee. The first regular session of the 1932 Council will be held in the library of the Union on Tuesday, December 27, to consider the report to be made for this year. Sessions for the reading of papers will be held in the same place beginning Wednesday, December 28 and ending Friday, December 30.

Penrose Medal

During this period, the Penrose medal of the Society, named in honor of its founder, Dr. R. A. F. Penrose, Jr. '84, will be awarded to Dr. E. O. Ulrich of the U. S. Geological Survey. The medal, which is of gold, is awarded for outstanding contribution in geological science and is given in this case for the research work of Dr. Ulrich in Paleozoic stratigraphy. He is the fifth recipient of the award.

Among the important addresses that will be given at the time of the convention is the greeting by President Lowell, which is scheduled for Wednesday, December 28. The retiring president of the Society, R. A. Daly, Sturgis Hooper Professor of Geology, will deliver the presidential address on "The Depths of the Earth." "Development of the Invertebrate Paleontology in America" is the subject to be discussed by R. S. Bassler, retiring president of the Paleontological Society. A. N. Winchell of the Mineralogical Society of America will speak on "The New Mineralogy."