SURPLUS OF JOBS OPEN TO TEACHERS UPON GRADUATION

84 Percent Now Working on Full Time Teaching Jobs--Other Schools Fail To Place as Many

More than 260 teaching positions were open the 133 men and women who left the Graduate School of Education with degrees last June, it was announced yesterday by F. C. Smith, Registrar of the school, in the fell owing statement: "In a year when other schools of education were having difficulty finding jobs for even half their graduates there were twice as many positions open to Harvard students as there were applicants. Of these 133 men and women, 106, or 84 percent, are now working on full time teaching jobs, while the remainder are either on part time work, or choose to continue their educational study.

"We had three college presidencies, all of well known insinuations, which were open to our graduates, and which paid more than average salaries. A good many other jobs of executive position were also offered our students, many of which we were unable to fill.

"In comparing the stand made by Harvard with that of other teaching schools, it is interesting to note," Smith pointed out, "that a survey made of 63 institutions in the United States giving some kind of teaching training, found that only 55 percent of the graduates of these colleges had secured jobs up to late this fall. Of these institutions, those which were denominational could find work for only 32 percent of their men, while non-sectarian Normal Schools were able to achieve 63 percent success. We have reports from 19 graduate educational schools indicating that 27 percent of the men, and 35 percent of the women who hold Master's degree are still unemployed. And of those who have received their Doctor's degree 29 percent are not yet placed after six months. New England Normal Schools report that four-fifths of their graduating classes are still without positions."

Mr. Smith stressed the fact that the median salary of those 55 percent who found work from other teaching institutions was $1276 a year, while the Harvard. vard graduates who secured jobs were receiving $2017, $17 higher than last year's average salary. Salaries for men who have received their Doctor's degree rose to over &6000, while the lowest wage was as much as $1600.

Although more than one-third of the jobs secured were in New England, the geographical distribution was over a wide area, with more than 12 percent of the positions being found in the far west. Another 12 percent took work in Boston and vicinity, and ten percent went to New York and New Jersey. The middle west placed more that one-four of the teachers, but the south took somewhat under ten percent of the applicants