Daddies--Just Daddies

The Press

"Spinster factory" was the name applied to a woman's college last year. "Cooperation is one of the largest lessons one can get from colleges," thus spoke Miss Marguerite Kimball, president of the Alumnae association before two generations of Radcliffians. From this point of view--the idea that a college must teach the student cooperation, that one should beware developing a selfish attitude and a lack of interest in all things not strictly scholastic--this suggests the words "personality factory."

Undoubtedly there are some fond parents who secretly or openly hope that college may produce a charming daughter. As they survey the schools, they may find one place which stamps students with a definite personality and if it is the type which satisfies their definition of charm, the beloved daughter's fate is signed. Women's colleges have within the last decade declared an aggressive campaign for individuality among students. An attempt to alienate the type-situation is essayed through the cultivation of the critical spirit. There are everywhere, however, characters easily impressed and characters capable of impressing.

Courses offered at any college are not made to aid the doting father in his aspirations for his offspring. A "personality factory" must suffer the fate of "spinster factory." Should we perhaps advocate an institution to teach girls to sit gracefully by the fire--alone and another, to develop charm--for father? Radcliffe News-Daily.