COACH WHITESIDE PARES CREW SQUAD DOWN TO 36 MEN

Freshmen Turn Out in Great Numbers At First Meeting-1935 Eights start Intensive Training At Once

A drastic cut in the University crew squad last night left 36 men to carry on with the training for the Crimson eight. These men, Barely a third of the candidates who signed up for rowing on Monday, will report to Coach Whiteside on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 5 o'clock for intensive indoor work. Coach Whiteside hopes to put his men on the water in about three weeks, cutting his squad at the time to fill four boats. A few weeks later he will select his three final crews.

Plenty of Veterans

A great many of last year's Crimson watermen will be on head for this years regattas, and the squad will further be bolstered by good material from last year's Freshman eight. The No. 4 man and captain of the 1934 boat, T. W. Nazro '34, will not row with the squad this year. On the other hand F. F. Colloredo-Mannsfeld '32 will be back for crew work after a year's ineligibility. The men who were dropped from the University squad by this cut should be able to fill up many House crews and 150-pound boats. It is hoped that enough men will turn out to complete ten separate 150-pound eights, since class crews have been abolished this year. This squad will in its turn be reduced to three such boats, and the men thus dropped from the 150-pound crews will be referred to House growing squads. These cuts will come with sufficient rapidly to give the House crews a long season.

A wealth of material responded to the call for Freshman rowers in the Union meeting last night. About 80 men heard Coaches Whiteside and Haines outline the Weld Boat House today. The squad will train in the Leviathan in a few weeks when the ice goes out of the river.