SUBWAY RIOTING

That the post-hockey game subway riots have passed from the stage of youthful, good-natured rough-housing and become annoying detriments to Harvard's reputation has long been evident. Still they have occurred with regularity. Afterwards there was always the lesson, then the exhortation; but to the amazement of most upperclassmen, another riot would follow. In recognizing the seriousness of the situation and in making an appeal to every student's sense of decorum the student. Council has given official force to a feeling which has been growing steadily. The threat of drastic and final action by the University office is severe, but just and necessary.

In all matters pertaining to the behavior of students in public there is one point which, aside from all general warnings, merits frequent repetition. When a student enters Harvard he takes upon himself the responsibility of conducting himself like a Harvard man at all times. Because of the peculiar reputation of Harvard's name any act committed by one of the students bears a tremendous news value in the metropolitan press. Any story pertaining to the University is immediately overated merely because it concerns Harvard; it is a delight for most city editors to attach a riot story for instance, to the name of the University. With distorted publicity there is opprobium and the difficulty of setting matters aright is twice as great.

If the present statement of the Student Council is circulated sufficiently there should be no immediate riot. If one occurs, the offenders will deserve to suffer any severe action which the University might take.