LIBERAL CLUB TO HOLD MEETING ON SINO-JAP CRISIS

Message Will Be Sent to Hoover if it is Approved -- Holcombe, Hopper and Langer Will Discuss Phases

In urging members of the University to attend a mass meeting in the Lowell House Common Room at 7.30 o'clock tonight, the Harvard Liberal Club hopes to gather together a fairly representative opinion on the current Sino-Japanese crisis. The vital points in the situation will be outlined for the audience by A. N. Holcombe '06, professor of Government; B. C. Hopper '24, assistant professor of Government; and W. L. Langer '15, associate professor of History. After their briefs talks on the different phases of the subject there will be a short period of questions from the floor, and this will be followed by the reading of a resolution, which, if approved, will be sent to President Hoover.

The officials of the Liberal Club, feeling that the present situation in China, despite the vague and undoubtedly distorted reports which have come to the American public, was brought to a head by seemingly imperialistic Japanese invasions, has drawn up the following resolution, which will be read to the gathering, and then sent to the President at Washington, provided there are no objections to this move. It runs as follows:

"Be it resolved, that it is the opinion of the members of the Harvard Liberal Club and of the students of Harvard University present at this meeting that the actions of the Japanese forces at Shanghai have not been in accord with the spirit manifested by the nations in the Nine-Power Treaty and in the Kellogg Pact, and furthermore that the members of the Harvard Liberal Club and the students here present favor the use of economic sanctions by the Powers of the World as a protest against these actions and as a guarantee for the future peace and progress of the nations."

A number of Chinese and Japanese students have signified their intention to be present at this meeting, and efforts will be made by the Club to enlist student representatives of each nation to debate on some of the questions read into the resolution. Such a discussion, if arranged, would probably be held at a later meeting.

When reached late last night the three speakers stated that they had not as yet decided how they would share the various topics to be presented under the title "The United States and the Sino-Japanese Crisis." According to D. H. Popper '32, President of the Club, Professor Holcombe will probably be asked to speak first. He was requested to address the meeting as it was felt that, having traveled extensively in China and having produced many books on its affairs, he would be eminently capable of presenting that country's point of view. Professor Langer is a prominent authority on the League of Nations, and will probably discuss the chances of that body's declaring an economic boycott on Japanese imports and exports. Professor Hopper will probably bring in the question of the position of Russia as regards this crisis. He has said that many Russians regard the present trouble as the first step towards an ultimate struggle between capitalism and socialism in China, and that many of them would like to remain passive so that the present trouble may be a more effective test case of the struggle against imperialistic capitalism. Professor Hopper is the author of a book entitled "Pan-Sovietism," which appeared last spring.B. C. HOPPER '24