SANDERS THEATRE EXERCISES ON FOR HOLIDAY MORNING

S. E. Morison '08 to Give Oration on "The Young Man Washington"--Glee Club to Sing Songs of Revolution

In commemoration of the two hundredth anniversary of the birth of George Washington, a program has been arranged for 11 O'clock, Monday, February 22, at Sanders Theatre. The public is invited to attend.

Hon. Richard M. Russell '14, Mayor of Cambridge, will open the meeting. Following this opening address, songs of the American Revolution will be rendered by the University glee club under the direction of Archibald T. Davison '06, who has arranged the music. At the conclusion of this recital, Professor S. E. Morison '08 will deliver and address on "The Young Man Washington."

The songs which the choristers will sing include: "Heart of Oak", music by William Boyce, 1759; and words by David Garrick, 1759: "The World Turned Upside Down", anonymous; "Liberty Tree", by Thomas Paine, 1775; "Battle of the Kegs", by Francis Hopkinson, 1778; "Chester" William Brilings, 1777; "The Yankee's Return From Camp", by Edward Bangs, 1775; "American Hearts of Oak", by J. W. Hewlings, 1775; and "War and Washington", by Jonathan M. Sewall, 1776.

"The World Turned Upside Down" was played by the bands of the allied armies when Cornwall is surrendered at Yorktown. Thomas Paine, who composed the ballad "Liberty Tree" was also the author of "Common Sense" and "The Rights of Man". "The Battle of the Kegs", written by Francis Hopkinson, signer of the Declaration of Independence, provided a hilarious interlude for the distressing winter at Valley Forge.

"The last song which the glee club will render--"War and Washington" expresses better than any other poem of the day, the "Spirit of '76". The tune "British Grnadier" was already a century old; and it is still played by the band of the Grenadier Guards.