PHYSICISTS TO INSPECT NEW LABORATORY HERE

BRIDGMAN WILL DELIVER LECTURE AT JOINT SESSION TODAY

Harvard is acting as host today to members of the American Physical Society and the Optical Society of America, who are holding their joint meeting in Cambridge. In addition to sessions for the presentation of scientific papers, members of the societies are inspecting the new Harvard Research Laboratory of Physics, which, with recent alterations in the Jefferson and Cruft laboratories, triples the space available for original investigations in experimental and theoretical physics.

Today's program includes the presentation of technical papers by members of both societies at Pierce Hall and Jefferson Laboratory. At 11 o'clock Dr. P. W. Bridgman '04 of Harvard will deliver a public lecture on "Anomalies in the Behavior of Solids under Pressure", at a joint session of the societies. The lecture will be followed by a luncheon.

Among the features of the extensive equipment of the new laboratory are the 100,000 volt storage battery, the Bridgman high pressure laboratory, spectroscopic equipment, and electric oscillation devices. In the Cruft and Jefferson laboratories the visitors will see the new shops, and the original laboratory of Professor W. C. Sabine, where the science of architectural acoustics had its birth.

The new underground high potential X-ray installation is located outside the building proper in order to provide adequate protection against the penetrating high voltage radiations. In the various laboratories more than 50 research projects are being carried on at the present time.