THE FRENCH PROPOSITION

At a glance the French proposal to arm the League of Nations seems like an attempt to preclude the possibility of success at the Geneva Arms Conference. From its experience at other conferences, the world has learned to be wary of French diplomacy. And it is perfectly plausible to conjecture that France, knowing that the other nations will reject the plan, is merely providing for a cogent excuse to refuse any limitations of arms. The general protest with which the plan has been received is, therefore, not surprising.

There are, however, several things that can be said in favor of the proposition. One of the reasons for the failure of former disarmament conferences has been the fact that no security has been offered for countries that reduce their armaments. This plan would provide for such a compensating security. It would offer a means for the League's effectiveness, a provision to deal with such problems as the present Sine-Japanese difficulty, a weapon to castigate offenders against world peace. Further it would act as an international police force to preserve order, to take care of such disturbances as perennially occur in Nicaragua, or in various Balkan states.

On the other hand, the cost of this security for the reduction of armaments, this insurance for world peace, would be a surrender of a part of the autonomy of each of the contracting nations. Under the prevailing nationalism, international jealousy and suspicion, few countries would be willing to make this sacrifice. And with the United States still out of the League, the plan could probably never be realized.