WINTER SPORTS TEAMS WILL SWING INTO ACTION

Various Squads Begin Intensive Work With End of Midyears--First Crew Practice Today

Various winter sports at Harvard will continue their seasons by resuming practice today and tomorrow. Crew, baseball, lacrosse, rugby, fencing, and boxing will swing into action with meetings this week and in the early part of next week. Track, polo, and squash have been in progress over the week-ends during the examination period and are pointing for important contests this month.

Formal rowing practice for the University eights starts today. Although those engaged in other sports need not come out for crew until February 22. Baseball gets under way on Friday with the meeting of candidates for the various nines at the Varsity Club. On Thursday night the lettermen of last year's baseball squad will hold a smoker at the Harvard Club in Boston, at which the Wendell and Wingate Trophies will be awarded. Informal lacrosse practice, under the direction of Coach Madison Sayles '27, will begin tomorrow afternoon in the Briggs Cage. On Wednesday the University foilsmen will start their season in a stiff tournament for places on the American Olympic team at Technology. Boxing will start its second season at Harvard with a fixture against the University of Toronto on Saturday.