PIERIAN TO GIVE TWO CONCERTS THIS MONTH

Gustav Holst, Now Teaching Here, Will Conduct Own Piece--Cello Concerto Heard For First Time in Program

The Harvard University Orchestra, the Pierian Sodality of 1808, under the direction of G. Wallace Wordsworth '24, conductor, will give a series of two public concerts at Paine Hall in the Music Building; the first next Tuesday evening at 8.15 o'clock, the second on March 29.

First Concert for Strings

The first concert will be for a string orchestra of 25 pieces. Gustav Holst, famous English composer and conductor who is teaching composition at Harvard and has lead the Boston Symphony Orchestra on several occasions most recently in one of its recitals in Sanders Theatre, will conduct the orchestra in the rendition of a suite of his own composition for string orchestras.

New Cello Concerto

A Vivaldi concerto for four violins, a piece seldom given, will be included in the program. The harpsicord will be played by H. C. Crook '34. R. U. Jameson '32, president of the Sodality, will play as a solo, a concerto for the violin-cello by John Braun (1753-95). This composition which has probably never been heard in Boston concerts, was obtained from the library of Professor G. B. Weston '97.

The programme of the first concert will consist of numbers by Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, Braun, and Holst.