CALLIOPE'S QUEUE

Four times this year, a shivering line of music lovers has braved the varied offerings of a New England winter evening for more than an hour in order to secure gallery seats to the Symphony concerts in Sanders Theater. The spectacle has become as frequent as it is vexatious and unnecessary. The inevitable inconvenience discourages many from attending; for those oblivious to physical discomfort, the wait is galling in its futility. Moreover, when the crowd is finally admitted and allowed to stand in the vestibule for a half hour before the start of the concert, its impatience and indifference to smoking prohibitions create a disorder and fire hazard which are sufficient in themselves to label the present system highly unsatisfactory.

With a slight change in administration all this could easily be eliminated. Gallery seat tickets could be placed on sale a week or more before the concert in some such manner as are those to the French movies shown at the Geographical Building. Any men who fail to secure tickets in this fashion might obtain standing room at Sanders Theater on the night of the performance. The last concert of the year will be played on April 28. If some plan, such as that outlined above, were then carried into effect and proved successful, there is little reason why it could not become the general practice at concerts next year. There is certainly no need to continue the unnecessary aggravations of the present system.