GOETHE CENTENARY IS MARKED BY EXHIBITION OF HIS WORK

Germanic Museum Displays Writer's Letters and Manuscripts

In connection with the hundredth anniversary of the death of Johann von Goethe, an exhibition of some of his work has been opened recently in the Germanic Museum. The exhibition consists of letters and manuscripts by Goethe, photographs of stage settings of "Faust," and illustrated editions of his works. Among the latter are those by Eugene Delacroix, founder and leader of the romantic movement in French painting, and by Ludwig Richter, noted German illustrator of the nineteenth century.

The photographs of stage settings of 'Faust" are of great variety, illustrating the rapid development of the art since the middle of the last century. There are photographs of the settings used in the old Burgtheater of Vienna in 1885, of those used in Munich about ten years later, and of an early production of Max Reinhardt. Among the later settings represented is one used by the German Youth Movement in the open air theatre at Thale and one which was employed by German prisoners during the World War. The display will continue until March 15 at the Germanic Museum, after which date it will be moved to the Treasure Room at the College Library.