UNITY OF PURPOSE

Efficiency is a formula for success which has fallen into disrepute during the past year along with every other "Prosperity technique." Education, in so far as it functions as a business corporation, has been made efficient but essentially it still struggles under a dead weight of waste effort and administrative red-tape. The greatest source of waste in the educational machine is the lack of integration between school and college.

Both are to blame for this inefficiency, which appears to be due to the disparity of their ideals and to the clumsiness of adjustment which permits the existence of the typical "Freshman Year." The specific problems involved in the dislocating change from school to college are being met, to some extent, both in schools like Exeter and at Harvard under Dean Leighton's direction. It is impossible to deal with them at this time which allows only of discussion of the problem to which they are subordinate. If the principle is not recognized that school and college are governed by the same ideals of education and that one is but the continuation of the other, then the specific changes will fail to accomplish their purpose.

It is inevitable and probably healthy that there should be a break between school and college, both in the social and living conditions and in teaching methods. This break, however, does not mean a difference of approach to the subject but an evolution necessary to the increased maturity of the student. The intelligent and active mind in the school should be able to step into the college at its natural level and be able to continue where it left off, rather than being forced to repeat or retreat. If the boy is to come upon the tutorial system at college, then the school should train him to use this system. As education is essentially an attitude of mind it must be common to both secondary school and to college. Both parts of the system should be as if designed by one mind.