No! 'Tis But the Wind

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be withheld.)

To the Editor:

Your March 17th list of "Democratic" and "Republican" straw vote presidential candidates was highly provoking--of laughter. The people are crying for bread, but you offer them different colors of stones.

I thoroughly agree with your editorial statement that the announcement of this poll "has deep significance".

But I think that the chief significance lies in the fact that while we have at best only one chance in ten of "voting in" enough socialism to avoid serious revolution within one generation, still the respected newspaper in Harvard University is happily excited over the great struggles of "Democratic" and "Republican" candidates against each other.

"But hush! hark! a deep sound strikes like a rising knell!

Did ye not hear it?--No! 'twas but the wind,

Or the car rattling o'er the stony street.

On with the dance! let joy be unconfined!" Charles H. Wellman '32.

(Ed. Note:--The voting to be conducted by the CRIMSON at the end of March is in the nature of a political primary. The Socialists have never conducted primary elections, therefore they are not included in the CRIMSON ballot. In the regular college straw vote election in the fall the name of the Socialist candidate will be duly placed on the ballot.)