FENCING PRELIMINARIES OF TOURNEY COMMENCE

UNIVERSITY TEAM MEMBERS ARE LIKELY TO WIN

Continuing throughout today and tomorrow, the preliminaries of the University open fencing tournament will begin today at 3 o'clock in the Fencing Room of the Indoor Athletic Building. The eliminations will be held only today and tomorrow, and the finals on Wednesday.

There will be bouts in sabre, epee, and foils to determine the University champion in each division. Four winners in each class will be chosen in the preliminaries, and these will fence in the finals for the championship. The tournament is open to all members of the University, and the lists will close at 1 o'clock today.

It is difficult to predict the outcome of the bouts, since there are always 'dark hourses' from the graduate schools who have had previous experience. The members of the University team who ought to provide stern opposition to any graduates are closely matched among themselves, and give reason for belief that they will exclude nearly all outsiders from the finals.

In the foils Gilbert Kerlin '33 and J. G. Hurd '34 will be the chief contenders for the crown, while G. M. Yatsevitch '33 is also a strong bid for the lead. In the epee matches T. L. Moran '32 is a clear favorite, although J. H. Beard '34 may press him closely in the finals. R. B. Lawson '32 and H.P. Walker '33 will be the only members to compete.