"College Men Indifferent, Afraid of All Independent Views, Opinions", Says Actress--Daring Reporters Seldom Seen

"One thing that strikes me awfully funny about college boys is that they always want to be known as men", said Sidney Mann, light opera and specialty singer at the Mayfair in a recent interview. "I see them here at the Mayfair acting as though they were practically grandparents already, and yet they are not really any more than just overgrown kids. I believe in keeping young as long as possible, and it positively pains me to see a lot of people still young trying to be something which they will regret being a little later".

"Another incorrect thing about college boys is that they are afraid of being different; they would not have an opinion different from every one else if they were paid for it. I'm not a bit that way; I have plenty of opinions, but they get me into trouble all the time--most people like to hear you say what you like for a while, but they soon tire of it. But come, I am just reeking with platitudes; that seems to be a failure with me when it comes to interviews. I must be afraid of the press because I always dream of being sent through all those rollers that they print papers on, you know, they show them in movies of newspaper reporters and their hectic life. The background of spinning presses always seems to be a favorite way of getting a movie audience all excited about the film".

"Speaking of newspaper men", she continued, "I am utterly disillusioned about them. The movies would have it that every reporter is springing with ready wit and just brimming with the jargon of the press. They aren't at all, they are just fat, middle-aged men who sit around and never think of rushing off to a fire with flying hair and their coats half on. I mourn the passing of the old time newspaper man who always speaks past the door man and turns up in the star's dressing room fully dressed as a chorine. Give me the good old days!"