JUNIOR DIVISIONALS

Junior divisionals for honors, candidates in History and Literature have had many advantages. They have required these men to get a general view of their subject sooner, and have left the senior year free from routine review, so as to enable them to spend their last year working in a field of special interest. But the greatest potential benefits of the system have not been realized; juniors in the field have not had sufficient time from their courses to spend in reviewing, and if they have wished to do well in their divisionals they have been forced to slight course work.

History and Literature honors candidates would gain more both from their divisional examinations and from their courses if, during their junior year, work required of them in courses in their field were reduced. Exemption from final examinations would not be a practical solution because there is ample time after junior divisionals to prepare for them. A more feasible plan is to exempt honors candidates from course theses and any May hour examinations in their field. In this way further advantages from courses and junior divisionals would be gained: a careful review for generals would be possible, and the required course work could be done more thoroughly.