Ballantine Declares People Who Sing in Bathtubs Rarely Posses Subtle Musical Natures or Extraordinary Talents

A scientific basis, obtained by the CRIMSON from experts in psychology, physics, and even music, has been discovered to explain the widely observed propensity of people to sing in the bath-tub. Disillusioning to some, perhaps, the explanations indicate that few artists of operatic calibre sing unseen.

Edward Ballantine '01, professor of Music, when asked to account for such phenomena declared that such efforts usually come from "people who have no other form of musical expression or those having little talent." "I have never heard a person sing in the bathtub who was very musical." Professor Ballantine declared, "but I have heard many people who weren't. I don't want to discourage anyone, but while such singing" may show good health, a war heart, or a magnificent physique, it does not indicate a very subtle musical nature. It is, on the contrary, evidence of rather deficient musical talent."

Professor F. B. Crawford, of the Physics Department, denied that the presence of water in the small room would heighten the melodic effect, but stated that hard walls acted as excellent resonators and in this way tended to increase the total effect of sound. He further added that, with the exception of wartime, the only occasion when Englishmen abandoned their traditional reserve was in the bath.

C. C. Pratt, professor of Psychology, agreed that the resonant effect peculiar to small, marble halls, was a possible cause of singing, if any, and also suggested that spontaneous bursting into song might result from the pleasurable feel of the water or bath-tub. Another psychologist gave his explanation. "Being alone, we regress to a more infantile level." A well-known University dean, when asked whether he sang while taking a bath, replied, "No, I never take a bath." Questioned further, he denied even singing in the shower. "You get your mouth full of water," he said.