Fay Sees Possible Wane in Power of Hitler as Hindenburg Wins Election-Will Speed Work on Debts and Disarmament

"Hitler failed to live up to the claims which he and his followers had been making before the first voting in Germany on March 13, and for this reason it may turn out that public faith in him is shaken and his power in German politics is on the wane," said S. B. Fay '96, professor of History in an interview last night after the results of the final German election were made known.

"Hitler's power was far too small to make a difference against such a popular candidate as Hindenburg, and although Hitler's following was enthusiastic and well-trained as far as it went, it was insufficient to overcome Hindenburg's total of 19 million votes," he continued. "Hindenburg was popular personally, as was shown by the fact that he polled a larger vote than could have been secured by the parties supporting him if they had been voting for seats in a Reichstag election. Hindenburg's election shows the sturdy common sense of the majority of the German people, in spite of their difficulties and humiliating international position and in spite of the oratorical promises of Hitler.

Now that the world is certain that the highest office in Germany is not to change hands, the way will be paved for a better atmosphere for the work on the disarmament reparations, and debt problems which have been facing Western Europe and especially Germany and France. France regards Hindenburg as a relatively 'safe' candidate as compared with Hitler and it was a curious but significant fact that on the streets of Paris when the election figures were announced showing Hindenburg's large lead over Hitler at the first voting, there were cheers for the man who had been one of the leading commanders of the German armies during the World War. The outcome of the election may have a calming effect in France and strengthen the Left parties there in the general election held in May, so that on both sides of the Rhine there will be moderate and not extreme nationalist elements in power; with moderation on both sides there may be some hope of making progress on all the questions which keep Europe politically divided."