DRAMATISTS PICK GERMAN PLAY FOR MAY PRODUCTION

Initial Presentation in United States Given With Aid of Shuberts--Tryouts Held Today and Tomorrow

"Napoleon Intrudes", a modern drama of the German School, by Walter Hasenclever, will be the forty-third production of the Harvard Dramatic Club. It will be given on four successive days starting Tuesday. May 3, at the Club's theatre in the Rogers Building. Try-outs are to be held today and tomorrow.

This will be the first presentation of the drama in the United States, and is being given with the cooperation and permission of Lee Shubert & Co., New York producers. It has had successful runs at European theatres, with the first production at Berlin in 1930, and later at the second Moscow Art Theatre. The German title of the play is "Napoleon Greift Ein".

G. E. Massey '15, who coached the Club's last production, "Charles and Mary" will again act in that capacity, while the following undergraduate managers will be in charge: production manager, J. T. Hughes '33; stage manager, M. J. Crowley '34; subscription manager, S. D. King '34; costume manager, H. P. Howe '33; property manager, John Cornell '35; and publicity manager, J. T. Hughes '33.

Try-outs are being held today and tomorrow for positions on both the technical and acting ends of the production. All interested students of Harvard and Radcliffe are urged to consult officers of the Club at the Rogers Building. It is expected that the cast will be chosen on Wednesday, but if an unusually large group comes out, the tryouts may be continued another day.

Only one play by Hasenclever, who has become exceedingly popular on the continent in the last few years, has been produced professionally in this country. In 1925 "Die Menschen" was given by the Provincetown Players. One of his best known plays is the "Story of Antigone", which was written in 1917, and caused much comment, as it prophesied almost exactly the German political revolution of the following year.