HARVARD LEAGUE OF NATIONS PASSES ON NEW CONSTITUTION

More Will Be Represented at Inaugural Sitting First Week in May--Elliott Speaks on League at Oxford

Before more than 40 undergraduates and foreign students the Constitution of the new Harvard League of Nations was read and passed by a unanimous vote in the preliminary organization meeting of the society. It was decided at the same time to hold the first regular meeting sometime in the first week in May.

W. Y. Elliott, professor of Government, was the principal speaker of the evening, explaining to the gathering the functions and purpose of the League which is closely patterned after the organization of the Council and Assembly of the League of Nations sitting at Geneva. In the early part of the last decade Professor Elliott was instrumental in the organization and work of a model league of nations at Oxford, where the experiment met with great success in spite of the enmity still existing between the nations represented in the institution because of the war.

Delegation heads from 13 countries were present, representing the United States, England, France, Germany, Cuba, Canada, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria, Ireland, Sweden, Italy, and Abyssinia. Although Turkey, Japan, and China were not in attendance, they have been consulted and are in favor of the body. Wolfgang Magnus of Germany, chairman of the initial committee, also explained the methods which the league will use. Speeches by A. D. Cadman '34 who will be the English delegate, Ulrich Kersten gr.L of Germany, and R. F. L. W. de Visme 1G, representative of France, followed.

Inasmuch as only 18 undergraduates were present at last night's meeting, all who wish to act as delegates from the United States or their own nation should see the secretary at Phillips Brooks House.