RUSHING THE FRESHMEN

Although the official date for House application has been set for April 16, and there has been a tacit agreement among Masters that no new members will be definitely accepted before that time, a number of Freshmen have already been given definite room assignments. Certain Houses, by violating the agreement and assuring first applicants of particular rooms have attempted to secure an advantage in membership over other of the units.

Despite the fact that this practice is wholly indefensible, it must be realized that Masters are in a difficult position. In order that the consultation period may be of value, House representatives must be willing to tell applicants their probable chances of admission. At the same time they should not give the impression of finally selecting them for membership or definitely assigning them particular rooms.

If rooms are promised to Freshmen in March or January, this will soon be done in the preceding September, or still earlier. It is necessary that Masters and Head Tutors of the various Houses be able to trust each other in this matter if they are to have any peace of mind. The continuance of the present irregularity in selecting members is bound to have an unfortunate effect on the personnel of all the Houses; those Houses which refuse to give a definite answer to eager applicants before all applications are received will undoubtedly appear less attractive.

Some plan analogous to that in operation for club pledging should be inaugurated. In fairness both to itself and to other units each House should wait until all applications have been submitted before making definite selection of members or assignment of rooms; above all, House officials should have not dealings with Freshmen until official consultations have begun in all the units. The present loose agreement must be replaced by a more definite understanding if fair and considered choice of House personnel is to be insured.