Purchasing Department May End Mystery of Memorial Hall Bell Clapper--Seek Minnie the Heath Hen in Lampoon Case

Advocates of a continued "laissez-faire" policy with regard to the twin thefts that occurred in the University during the past week had their hopes somewhat dampened last night when it was learned that the clapper of the Memorial Hall bell, nor the stuffed animals belonging to the Lampoon, had been returned to their proper owners. Major Charles R. Apted '06 who has been carrying on investigations of the two cases, could not be reached during the early part of last evening, his absence leading many to think that the head of the Harvard police force was away working on clues.

Considerable stir occurred in Yard circles Saturday when it was found that in anticipation of an attack on the Harvard Hall bell, newly located in the loft of the now chapel, Major Apted had placed one of his men in the upper regions of Thayer Hall. The watchman, ready to give the alarm if a light should appear in the steelwork of the chapel tower, was not, as some have said, celebrating the coming holiday. For the seventh consecutive day, however, Memorial Hall was in silence at the turn of the hour, and it looks as though the clapper case would best be solved by the University purchasing department.

Officials of the Lampoon, humorous college magazine, when reached last night, expressed an ardent desire to communicate with those who stole Arthur the Seagull and the sacred alligator. "We wish that someone would give us the bird, and will ask no questions" sums up the attitude of the funsters. In addition a ransom of $50 will be paid for the return of the goods, according to one of the editors of the publication. Theories have been advanced by those who urge a thorough search of the east wing of Peabody Museum, where it was felt that the alligator might turn up. In respect to Arthur the Seagull, police of Sandwich, Massachusetts, are keeping a sharp lookout for a small bird named "Minnie", sole surviving Heath Hen of the Bay State, and friend of the Harvard gull several years ago. Description of the hunted bird, which tallies somewhat with that of the Lampoon's sacred Ibis, states that Minnie is slight, grey-colored, with pale features and a closely-cropped ruff on the top of the head.