Over 2000 Participate in Largest Harvard Square Riot Since 1927

A. L. Putnam '20 Among Those Taken by Police--Crowd Not Dispersed Until 1 O'Clock

Over 2000 students and townspeople participated in a riot last night, the biggest since the University Theatre battle between police and students in 1927. The riot started in the early part of the evening and was not under control until about 1 o'clock this morning, and then only after constant efforts by police, which included the use of tear bombs and clubs. Never in the history of Harvard College has there been a riot of such extent and duration.

During the course of the proceedings eight students were arrested and taken to the Brattle Square Police station with a charge of disturbing the peace. A. L. Putnam '20, Consultant on Careers, was picked up by frenzied Cambridge Police during the height of the riot, but was soon identified by Major Charles R. Apted '06, and subsequently released. The methods used by the police in their efforts to quell the disturbance were of little avail. Their use of tear gas and clubs merely made the students more determined to continue the riot and seek revenge on the police.

"Apted for President"

The riot started with the removal of a large bell-clapper, similar to that taken from Memorial Hall 11 days ago, from Bertram Hall, a Radcliffe dormitory, in the early part of the evening by a large group of students, consisting mostly of Freshmen. With cries of "We want our bell-clapper and we want beer!" and "Apted for President" the rioting students broke into the Radcliffe dormitories and rushed through the halls in search of the missing clapper. The only thing which could be found was a bell-clapper in Bertram Hall, and this was speedily removed and carried in the direction of Harvard Square. By this time other groups of students had gathered and were milling about along Massachusetts Avenue through Harvard Square, to Brattle Square, where eggs were flying merrily.

In the meantime another fake clapper was brought into the CRIMSON building, and not finding a warm reception there, was carried to the vicinity of the Lampoon building by another group of Freshmen, where another large crowd had gathered. At this juncture several heavily-loaded automobiles were cruising about through the streets, adding to the confusion. The clappers soon disappeared into buildings, but the crowd grew steadily larger, centering in Harvard Square. The crowd did not become really excited, however, until police began throwing tear bombs into their midst. Major Apted joined with the police in their efforts to disperse the huge crowd, crying "Break it up, boys, break it up!" but to no avail. During the course of the riot the night gate of the University Theatre was removed and burned in the middle of the street, along with several placards of that theatre. Trolley cars were disabled in the middle of the square and huge busses were rocked from side to side. Traffic through the square was practically paralyzed. It was not until well after 12.30 o'clock that the crowd began to disperse, and it was after one o'clock when the square was finally cleared