RUGBY IS RECOGNIZED AS AN INFORMAL SPORT

NO INSIGNIA OR FINANCIAL AID WILL BE GIVEN

Rugby has been recognized as an informal sport by the H.A.A., according to an announcement yesterday. This recognition will involve no particular change from the present status of the sport, but is chiefly intended for the convenience of the Dean's office and in order to give the Athletic Association partial responsibility.

The action which has just been taken was suggested last year to the Rugby Club, which put off its final acceptance until this season. Coach Bothner recently attended a meeting of H.A.A. officials in which the various aspects of the question were discussed.

No Eligibility Rules

Graduates and Freshmen will continue to play on the team as at present, and the sport will not be subject to intercollegiate eligibility rules. No insignia will be given by the athletic officials, nor is the H.A.A. expected to offer financial aid to the Club, which will continue to meet its own expenses through gate receipts.

"The intention of the new relation between rugby and the Athletic Association is to give the latter an official supervisory function", stated Captain Cabot late last night. "The close cooperation which has been carried on in the past will continue in the future." Captain Cabot added that there was a chance that the intercollegiate board attempted last year may be reorganized this spring. Intramural matches will be entirely conducted by the Club.

Rugby, which was the first sport at Harvard to resume athletic relations with Princeton, has been attracting more students every year.