COPULA NEC MALIS

In the English Journal, Mr. Eugene E. Burns, a Harvard graduate student, publishes an article which discusses the relations of the American student with his teachers, is contrasted with conditions existing in European schools. Mr. Burns points out that abroad the teacher is usually regarded as "untouchable," somewhat too majestic and sacred even to become acquainted with his students; in America thorough and sympathetic understanding of the student based on friendship is the first consideration of the master. This is said to be particularly true at Harvard.

However true in theory, the assumption that American Instructors make friends of their students often fails to meet the fact. At Harvard the House Plan, the tutorial system, and custom combine to bring most upperclassmen into contact with members of the faculty with whom they may become acquainted. Yet "staff tables," in the dining halls, the reticence which afflicts some students, and lack of opportunity prevent many undergraduates from knowing those men by whose advice and help they would most profit.

Doubtless fear of those tactless persons who haunt professors' teas and refer to instructors as "Ted" and "Jack" is sufficient ground for the seclusion in which many members of the faculty envelop themselves; the press of important work also furnishes a ready and valid excuse. But when graduates tell fondly of their familiarity with Dean Briggs, and students respect scholars like Professor Copeland the more for the interest which they take in their students, there can be no hesitation in saying that "contacts" are a major part of an education. Facts are soon forgotten, but men and their ideals are long remembered. Mr. Burns is wrong in his analysis of the relation between the undergraduate and his instructor, but he is entirely right in assuming that such a relation should naturally be one of friendship.