ALABAMA VOTES FOR UNDERWOOD

In sweating Chicago next summer the Democrats will spend their traditional thousand and one days deciding who should be the next president; tonight Harvard, the home of democracy, will decide the question at one sitting. True, all is real democracy, and the issue will not be decided in a dark room at Dunster House as in other nominations. Yet the speeches may hit the wrong note, though they will be good exercise for superannuated members of the Debating Council. After all, choosing a president is a serious matter. Perhaps one should not blame the Democrats for being a trifle humorous, especially since the country has Hooverized for three years, and is seeing red on the Republicans' account.

But, viewing the problem from all sides, there is a great task before tonight's assemblage. The gathering should not welsh by choosing Walsh, as it has done twice previously, nor should it hit on Glass as a light in the darkness. It ought to garner its votes carefully. So many things must be remembered, as for example the farmers' approval of Baker. It is not inconceivable that Smith might forge ahead of the party again. In case they get stuck, they can walk softly with Roosevelt. This is not impossible, for in making Donkeys of themselves the delegates can be expected to do the conventional thing.