NEW LABORATORY FOR SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING

PHOTOGRAPHY WITH POLARIZED LIGHT WILL BE USED

A new laboratory of Applied Science for the Engineering School is being installed on the third floor of Pierce Hall and will be ready for use next September. The purpose of the laboratory is to promote instruction and research in fields which have hitherto been little understood by American engineers, it was stated yesterday by A. E. Norton, professor of Applied Mechanics.

Polarized Light Used

"A considerable part of the laboratory will be devoted to the study of the effect of stress on variously shaped solid bodies with the aid of polarized light and sensitive cameras. The distribution of stress and strain exerted on a notched object, for example, can be detected by bands of colored light which are recorded on the photographic plate in the camera. The English scientist, Coker, developed the process early in the last decade, but its practical engineering value is just beginning to be realized."

Will Study Vibration

Another section of the laboratory will be used for demonstrating vibration phenomena as they occur in machinery and in buildings. One machine is to be used for studying the effect of damping torsional vibrations in the crank shafts of reciprocating engines of industrial machinery.