VARSITY EIGHT TRAINING FOR LAST REGATTA HERE

CORNELL AND SYRACUSE LOOM AS STRONGEST RIVALS

With Bancroft and Saltonstall back again at numbers 5 and 7, the Varsity crew commenced its last week of practice yesterday before winding up the college racing season here in the triangluar race on Saturday with two of the strongest crews in the East, Cornell and Syracuse.

Although of these two crews, it is Syracuse which may be called undefeated, owing to its having won its only race over the Navy, nevertheless, it is the Cornell crew, which was squeezed out by Yale in one-fifth of a second to break the course record on Lake Cayuga last Saturday, and proclaimed with Yale to be the finest and best rowing crew in this part of the world, which the Harvard eight will keep its eye on this week. Harvard's last chance to test itself against an outside crew, before going to meet the undefeated Elis late in June, is this Saturday, when it will be determined whether or not Coach Whiteside's crew still ranks among the leaders.

Long Daily Paddies

Practice last week for the Varsity, following the shakeup after the Penn defeat, consisted mostly of long slow paddles rowed at excessively low strokes in order to establish the balance. For the most part the two crews paddled separately, and there were no time trials. On Friday, Bancroft and Saltonstall resumed their places in the stern four leaving Nickerson, Hovey, Erickson, and Armstrong in that order in the bow four. Saturday Coach Brown took the reins when Coach Whiteside went to Ithaca to look over his crew's next opponents, and yesterday work set in again in earnest. This week the Varsity crew's power will be undoubtedly challenged at least once with a time trial and a brush with the Jayvee eight.