MACKIN AND WALKER WIN IN FENCING TOURNAMENT

Eight Compete in New England Division Of Contest Held By Amateur Fencers' League of America

J. J. Mackin '33, in the Epee, and H. P. Walker, Jr. '33, in the Sabre, were the winners in the tournament of the Amateur Fencing League of America, held at the Freshman track on Soldiers Field, yesterday afternoon.

Five members of the University team, two other students, and one lone outsider, J. B. Lloyd of the Cambridge School, completed the unusually small field.

The rules of the Association call for outdoor competition and the Freshman cinder track was thought to be the most satisfactory, although the dust hampered the vision of the fencers. Several times the swordsmen slid on the uncertain footing and went sprawling over their opponents. National contests will be held in New York in the near future, but no members of the University six plan to enter.

Only matches in the Epee and Sabre were held because it is impossible to follow the devious passes of the slender foils in the sunlight. The results of the matches are as follows: Epee: first, J. J. Mackin '33; second, T. I. Moran '32; third, W. M. Altenburg 2G.B. Sabre: first, H. P. Walker, Jr. '33; second, J. S. Hurd '34; third, R. B. Lawson '32.