DRAMATIC CLUB GIVES "NAPOLEON INTRUDES"

PLAN MORE PERFORMANCES IF TICKET DEMAND CONTINUES

The forty-third production of the Harvard Dramatic Club will open tonight in the Rogers Building at 8.15 o'clock when the curtain rises on "Napoleon Intrudes," a play representing the reincarnation of Napoleon.

"Napoleon Intrudes" is called by its author, Walter Hasenclaver, the noted German expressismist, "An adventure in seven pictures." It portrays 'Napoleon," a wax figure in a museum, together with other celebrities such as Mussolini, the President of the United States, and the French Bluebeard, Monsieur Landru, who becomes dissatisfied with the condition of affairs in Europe. He gets himself into a convention of nations, a movie studio, and a madhouse in rapid succession; by his continual insistence that he is Napoleon people are convinced that he is insane. Finally he gives up his idea of reorganizing the governments of Europe and returns to the museum.

Play Enjoyed European Success

During the last year the play has enjoyed remarkable success not only in Germany, where it was first produced, but throughout Europe. There have been various Russian adaptations which stress the political satire. In the translation used by the Dramatic Club the political allusions which have lost their significance, have been replaced by more appropriate satirical hits.

"Hasenciever is Enfant Terrible"

H. W. L. Dana "03 in an article on Walter Hasenclever says, "Walter Hasenclaver is the 'enfant terrible, or perhaps we should say rather the 'bad boy,' of German dramatists. Since the death of the terrible Wedekind, there has been no playwright so disturbing to German complacency as this small, keen, dynamic Hasenclaver, with his terrifying piercing eyes. . . .The sensationalism of Hasenclaver is hardly important enough to demand very serious consideration abroad, yet the originally and the daring of his plots which have stirred so much discussion in Europe deserve more attention than they have received in America."

Many Tickets Sold

The sound pictures taken by Paramount of the dress rehearsal on Saturday are expected in the University Theatre by tomorrow and will be shown until Friday. The sale of tickets has exceeded expectations and the Friday performance is already a sell-out. If the demand for tickets continues, the Club plans two additional performances.