DUNSTER IS VICTORIOUS IN HOUSE CREW REGATTA

LOWELL CATCHES CRAB IN LAST HUNDRED YARDS

In the first inter-House regatta of the season yesterday afternoon, the Dunster crew crossed the finish line two lengths ahead of Eliot, and won the race; Lowell, Winthrop, and Kirkland received third, fourth, and fifth places, respectively. The time for the winning shell was 9 min., 20 sec.

An outstanding feature of the race was the lead which Lowell House maintained up to the 1 1-2 mile mark, and which it lost only after a crab was caught by the number two man in the last 100 yards of the heat.

The race was over the Henley distance on comparatively choppy water, caused by a strong southerly breeze. Dunster was allotted the lane nearest the Boston shore, while Lowell followed a less sheltered course in midstream, and the advantage of smooth water was probably a contributing factor in Dunster's victory.

The last minute disorganization caused by the crab in the Lowell boat enabled Eliot to cross the line a bare quarter of a length ahead of its rival, after having occupied third place during the rest of the race. The outcome of the race is significant in that it was the first official inter-House crew contest this season of more than three quarters of a mile in length.