STRONG R.I. STATE NINE PLAYS HERE AGAINST CRIMSON

Devens May Twirl, or Play Center Field If Taylor is in Box--Afternoon Tilts Now Start at 3 O'Clock

Famous all over the East as a tried and unbeaten college ball team, the Rhode Island State outfit should put on a good show of its talent on the Soldiers Field diamond at 3 o'clock today. The visitors have piled up ten consecutive victories this season and are facing a Harvard team which has plenty of worries already. The Crimson has lost games at unexpected moments, such as the upset at Brown on Monday, and the Holy Cross and Georgetown defeats some time ago, and has a stiff return match with the Crusaders scheduled for Saturday.

The Harvard star twirler, Devens, has been performing such excellent work for the varsity this season, in centre field, and at bat, that he has given Coach Mitchell a tricky batting order problem. The big right-hander has moved into Captain Lupien's fourth place on the batting roster, and has kept himself from sinking back into the pitcher's traditional tail-end position by virtue of his fine hitting at critical moments. Devens is the Crimson first string twirler, and has therefore been saved for the heavier Saturday games in the past. Instead of sitting on the bench during the week he has been playing in centre field for Gleason, who is laid up with an infected heel. If Devens should make his midweek pitching debut today a vacancy would be created in the outfield, with Ware as the most likely man for the job. Mitchell may use Taylor on the mound, however.

Devens' superlative twirling has for- ced a change of catchers, as Sheldon, playing at first base earlier in the spring has been obliged to become the receiving end again of the Devens-Sheldon battery of last year's fame. Fincke was Coach Mitchell's early season choice for catcher, and has now taken the first sack job on trade, where he has kept up his steady good work, and has helped to make up for Lupien's failings at the bat.

The Harvard mentor had not decided last night whom to use on the mound. The impressive record of the visitors, including an it does a 6 to 5 win over the Harvard Graduates may force him to use Devens: if net, he will work Sprague. The Rhode Island outfit will have Martynick, one of its four veterans, tooing the plate. This man pitched against the Crimson last year and lost by a score of 9 to 3