HOUSES CUT FOOD PRICES FOR NEXT YEAR TO $9 RATE

Plan of Fixing Maximum Charge Done Away With--Effort To Keep Diners At Houses Causes Change

Through the joint efforts of President Lowell, Dean Hanford, and the masters of the seven Houses, the scale of food prices in the Houses has been considerably reduced for next year. A primary change is that in the flat rate of 21 meals per week, which will be $9 during the coming year. This represents a reduction of $1.50 per week from the price now in effect.

The change has been made in an effort by the University to induce more men to eat all their meals in the House. The reductions have also been influenced by the present low scale of food prices.

The new prices on the weekly rates, with present figures in parentheses, are as follows: 10 meals per week, $6.75 ($7.50); 14 meals per week, $7.75 ($8.50); and 21 meals per week, $9 ($10.50). To obtain the $9 per week rate students will be obliged to sign for it in advance. This is due to the fact that the present maximum plan for counting meals has been abolished.

At the present time a man signing for less than 21 meals in the House pays $7.50 for 10 meals per week. In case he exceeds this number, he is charged for the additional meals until his total bill reaches $10.50, the present cost of the 21 meal rate. If his additional meals raise the bill beyond $10.50, the student is not charged more than that sum, his dining hall charge being set as if he had originally signed for this rate.

Charge in Excess of Quota

Next year residents will not get the benefit of the $9 rate for 21 meals unless this fixture is the one contracted for at Lehman Hall. If the student who has signed up to eat 10 meals per week in the House exceeds that figure, he will be charged for additional meals to whatever extent the 10 meal number is exceeded. Prices of individual meals are also being reduced, in the following degree: breakfast, $.30 ($.40); luncheon. $.50 ($.60); and dinner $.75 ($.80). These are the prices that will be charged to residents who exceed the contracted number of meals.

Induce Eating in Houses

Lehman Hall officials will be willing to make any changes which the resident may desire in his plan of meals, all such changes to be made by giving one week's notice to the Bursar. With respect to guest meals, the prices for breakfast, luncheon, and dinner, respectively will be: $.40, $.60, and $.80.