NEW ATHLETIC CHARGES

In its official announcement of rates to be changed for the use of athletic facilities during the coming year, the Harvard Athletic Association has included a new feature which will be a surprise to those who have approved its policy of "athletics for all." Last year a member of the University was permitted to utilize, free of charge, all the departments of the new gymnasium except the swimming pool; according to the new ruling, men must secure admittance to the building by the presentation of either a participation ticket, a special five dollar "Gymnasium ticket," or by the expenditure of a quarter.

The change appears small, but to the men who wish to take occasional exercise in the gymnasium and who care nothing whatsoever about the subsequent swim, the present charge may be prohibitive. The size and private financial condition of this group is easily appreciated as one recalls the number of men who partook in the activities of the gymnasium last year without caring to pay the extra price which entitled them to the use of the pool.

The argument that by this new system outsiders can more easily be excluded may be logical enough, but certainly in this case, the lure is not worth the game. The question of financial advantage, however, is much more difficult to oppose; for the new feature, though of itself unpopular, adds new value to, and should increase the sales of, the participation books. But here again the same answer should, in the end, apply. It is all very well to encourage men to take up athletics; but unless the rate policy is based rather upon the budget of the individual student than upon that of the Association, it is difficult to persuade him that the game is worth the price.