BOOK BY LOWELL TO BE PUBLISHED ON SATURDAY

CLASH OF PRINCIPLES EQUALLY SOUND IS THESIS

"Conflicts of Principle," the first book which President Lowell has written in nine years, will appear on Saturday from the Harvard University Press. The news of the publishing of this book comes as a surprise to most people, as only a few intimates were aware of the fact that the president was engaged in writing it.

The new volume, about 150 pages long, is a further development of "Public Opinion in War and Peace," which was the last book written by President Lowell, published in 1923.

Taking George Washington and Abraham Lincoln as examples, the author points out here that they are honored for doing entirely different things; Washington because he successfully carried out a war for independence, Lincoln because he successfully crushed a war for independence. As in these outstanding instances, the book shows, a principle absolutely correct within certain limits may not be so under other conditions. The chief theme of the book lies in pointing out how, in the field of public affairs and social relations, principles equally good in their place often come into conflict, making a fertile field for the political student who is searching for interesting problems. The author would show that principles which are successfully applied to the Negroes in the South do not necessarily hold good for the same race in the North.

President Lowell has been working on the book for the past few years.