Foreign Students

HE PRESS

The withdrawal of privileges hitherto enjoyed here by non-quota foreign students violates the spirit of welcome shown them by our own students as well as by university and college authorities. It might be argued that a foreigner who had not, in part at least, worked his way through college could not quite know our educational advantages. But to deny young men from France, Germany, Italy or Great Britain the opportunity to get an education which American students are glad to share with them belies the whole purpose of educational exchange and a better world understanding.

As proposed, the restrictions are petty. One may mow a lawn or stoke a furnace or sweep a floor for a landlady and make that and the action fine, but not for a neighbor in order to make money to pay the landlady. And there are other provisions as absurd. All told, they would affect so few as not to be worth a protest were it not for the implications or for the immediate inconveniences caused by taking the step without adequate warning to those who are already here or on the way. As Dr. Cooper, the United States Commissioner of Education, has stated: "The whole purpose of student exchange and of the granting of non-quota status to allen students, which is the encouragement of international good-will, is interfered with, if not wrecked, by this regulation if it is enforced."

The number likely to be involved does not exceed 2,500, and may not reach 1,500 for the entire United States. As there are virtually a million students in our higher institutions, this competitive factor is negligible.

Dr. John H. MacCracken, the associate director of the American Council on Education, has declared this procedure unnecessary and has characterized its suddenness as "cruel and unworthy." The international significance of this regulation by the Secretary of Labor is set forth by Dr. MacCracken in a letter appearing on this page this morning. If this "regulation" is not to be "taken too seriously" it should be rescinded. It should be sufficient that the status of a bona fide guest-student is established. New York Times.