Statistics From Employment Bureau Show Harvard Office Secures Jobs With Greater Total Earning Powers Than Yale

Calling attention to the fact that the Yale Bureau of Appointments helped students earn $252,061 last year while the Student Employment Office at Harvard enabled men to earn $210,664, the Yale Daily News points out, in a recent issue that the Yale employment office is roughly $40,000 more efficient than the Harvard Office.

Inquiry at the Harvard Student Employment Office reveals that drawing comparisons between the results effected by this office and that at Yale necessitates the recognition of salient differences.

The Harvard Office does not control student agencies, which, at Yale, are directly connected witht the student employment office. The Harvard office places only Freshmen waiters, mainly because the management of the House dining halls maintains regular hired service. And while the jobs secured by the Yale office are largely within the scope of the University departments, the majority of the jobs secured by the Harvard office are wholly unconnected with the University.

Subtracting from the Yale total the earnings of men through student agencies such as those of laundering, pressing contracts, magazines, and distribution of blotters and calendars, deducting also the earnings of men whose jobs are directly connected with the University, and which are outside the scope of the Harvard employment plant, and finally the earnings of student waiters, an elimination which will also be considered in connection with the Harvard Freshman waiters, it is shown that the Yale office secures for its students term-time jobs totaling upwards of $82,000. The earnings from jobs equivalent to these secured for students through the Harvard employment office total roughly $120,000.

Straight comparisons may be drawn in connection with summer jobs, since here the two offices work on the same basis. The Yale office, in the summer of 1931, the most recent year on which Yale has published definite statistics was able to place men whose earnings thereby totaled almost $101,000. The same summer the Harvard Bureau secured jobs the earning powers of which totaled $128,000.