HARVARD PROFESSORS HEAD THREE SOCIETIES

CHEMICAL SOCIETY MAKES LAMB PRESIDENT FOR YEAR

Four Harvard professors have received signal honors at the annual meetings of various academical societies which have convened during the Christmas holidays. A. d. Lamb, Professor of Chemistry and director of the Chemical Laboratories, was chosen president of the American Chemical Society for 1933, it was announced on December 28, following a meeting of the council of the society. He has already served during this year as president-elect. At the same time, J. B. Conant '13, Sheldon Emery Professor of Organic Chemistry, was elected one of the Councilors-at-large of the society.

At the meeting of the American Economic association, the body which sponsors the publication of the American Economic Review, W. Z. Ripley, Nathaniel Ropes Professor of Political Economy, was elected president of the body. The meeting was held in Cincinnati, from December 28 to December 30. Professor Ripley did not attend the meeting, as he is at present studying in Europe, and the honor came as a complete surprise.

C. I. Lewis '05, professor of Philosophy, was elected president of the eastern division of the American Philosophical Society at the closing session of the thirty-second annual convention, which was held during the last week of December, at Bryn Mawr College.

The Society of American Bacteriologists held their annual meeting at Ann Arbor this year, and in the last day of the meeting, December 30, M. J. Rosenau, Charles Wilder Professor of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene, was named vice-president. Professor W. M. Clark of Johns Hopkins, University was elected president of the society.