Engineering Is Not Field For Undergraduate Study, States Dean Clifford--Cites Evolution of Harvard School.

"The Engineering School should be a professional school, as are the schools of Law, Medicine, and Business," states H. E. Clifford '89, dean of the Engineering School in his annual report for the year 1931-32.

Dean Clifford points to the establishment of a Graduate School of Engineering a Harvard during the past year. The undergraduate School of Engineering is also being maintained, he states, but students are being encouraged to take their undergraduate course to the College and then enter the Engineering School as graduate students.

Citing this step as one "of the highest importance educationally," Dean Clifford says:

"The advantages of establishing engineering education on a graduate basis are many. The graduate student brings to his work an intellectual maturity, a seriousness of purpose, a sense of preparation, and an understanding of the relations of engineering to present day civilization, which are certainly most unusual in the average undergraduate.

"An engineer, to achieve success in satisfying measure needs both technical ability and the attainments of a broadly educated man. The study of engineering is necessarily concentrated and highly specialized. It should, therefore, be preceded by preparation designed not only to train the student in mathematics and the sciences specifically required for technical instruction, but also to give him an adequate background of general knowledge. The preparation afforded by a program of study leading to, or equivalent to, the degree of Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in institutions of high standing meets these needs if the subjects are wisely selected.

"The Faculty of the Engineering School advises undergraduate students interested in the study of engineering at Harvard to seek their preparatory training in Harvard College and to enroll subsequently in the Graduate School of Engineering for one or more years after obtaining their bachelor's degree."