THE BIG TREE

Since the days of Professor Baker and the 47 workshop, the state of the drama in Cambridge has declined sadly. The sole custodian of the theatre in the University at present is the Harvard Dramatic Club, an organization that after several years of mediocrity shows great improvement. The largest single obstacle to still surther progress on the part of the Dramatic Club is the lack of any suitable place in which to produce their plays, particularly since the demolition of the Rogers building.

According to officials of the Club, the Big Tree Swimming Pool would make an admirable theatre due to the steep slope of the pool and the presence of a large balcony around it; it would seat about four hundred people. It is estimated that doing this and remodeling the building would cost about thirty-five hundred dollars, which amount, Francis Hart, graduate treasurer of the Dramatic Club, believes they could raise. Moreover, the Dramatic Club is willing to pay for a caretaker and the cost of heat and lighting. The front rooms of the structure could easily be fitted for the use of an undergraduate art society, and also be used for dances. In addition to this, the Big Tree Swimming Pool has an advantageous location in close proximity to the Houses, and would be well suited for the Classical Club, the Debating Society, and any other activity requiring a small theatre.

It is surely evident that many advantages would come from putting a building, that for some years has stood empty, to this use. Unfortunately, the attitude of the University has been vague and temporizing. In view of the urgency of the need for an undergraduate theatre and the many benefits to be derived therefrom, it is time that the University either allow this to be accomplished or give its reasons for not doing so.